Workshop on Web Engineering Collaborative Music Learning (WECML)
Invitation/Call for Papers
We cordially invite you to participate in the WECML workshop, which will be held in conjunction with the 7th International Web Audio Conference in Cannes, France on 6-8 July 2022. The workshop aims at gathering researchers and application developers (from academia and industry) working on the development of web applications for online music learning. The objective is to present novel applications, address relevant challenges and build an international community around the topics of the workshop.
The last few decades have witnessed an ever increasing interest in e-learning platforms, either general- or special-purpose. Although this trend was rapidly accelerated through the years of the pandemic, it is still not clear how e-learning platforms may be tailored to demanding domains such as music. In music, virtual learning entails multiple requirements, such as advanced network capabilities, special-purpose devices to represent, codify and articulate knowledge but also novel interaction affordances and co-engagement of multiple modalities. For example, music performance is concerned with precise timing and communication through broadband sound. Hence, network lags, limited network bandwidth and packet loss severely constrain the possibility of conducting synchronous music performance lessons. Moreover, music education embraces special-purpose notations (e.g. music scores) that carry their own meaning and semantic rules, while it frequently implicates practices (e.g. improvising, real-time collaborative co-engagement), which are often difficult to interpret and replicate in virtual settings. These challenges present opportunities for sophisticated solutions and, at the same time, inspire the development of intelligent tools that contribute to the educational process. This workshop seeks for contributions which bring novel insight to the development of web-based environments for collaborative music learning. Contributions are solicited on a broad range of topics including networked music performance systems, approaches in computer supported cooperative work with music objects, representations and visualizations of music material, intelligent applications and methods presenting novel perspectives in music learning.
- Web-based teleconferencing and Networked Music Performance systems
- Web or cloud-based virtual collaboration across digital music representations
- Web implementations for creating/processing music annotations and metadata
- Learning Management Systems dedicated to music learning
- Artificially Intelligent applications for online music learning
- Web implementations of machine listening and relevant interface affordances
- Creating and visualizing clusters of music content
- Implications of computational creativity in music improvisation and learning
- Digital Musical Instrument interactions across the web
- Any other topic related to online music learning
The workshop will be organized by the MusiCoLab Project Consortium. The MusiCoLab – Virtual Music Education and Collaboration Laboratory project is co‐financed by the European Regional Development Fund of the European Union and Greek national funds through the Operational Program Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, under the call RESEARCH – CREATE – INNOVATE (project code:Τ2EDK-00353)
The workshop organizing and program committee will have the following members:
- Alexandraki Chrisoula, Hellenic Mediterranean University
- Akoumianakis Demosthenes, Hellenic Mediterranean University
- Cambouropoulos Emilios, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Kaliakatsos-Papakostas Maximos, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Kalochristianakis Michael, Hellenic Mediterranean University
- Stefanakis Nikolaos, Hellenic Mediterranean University
- Zervas Panagiotis, University of Peloponnese
Submit your contribution as a 6-10 page paper to be given as an oral presentation during the workshop session.
- Templates: papers must be submitted in PDF format using the WAC 2022 templates (LaTeX or Word).
- Submission system: Easychair WAC 2022
Important Dates Deadline Extension: Submissions untill May 2, Paper updates possible untill May 9, 2002
- April 25, 2022: Submission deadline for the WECML Workshop (updates possible until May 2, 2022)
- May 25, 2022: Notification of acceptances and rejections for the WECML Workshop.
- June 10, 2022: Camera ready submission and presenter registration deadline.
- July 6-8 2022: The conference
Contact E-mail: musicolab @ hmu.gr